One attraction of running is you can just throw on some gear and hit the road. There’s no need for much specialised wear, just a pair of comfortable shoes and off you go. You don’t even need other people!;-) But as you get the running bug you will want to start tracking how fast you are progressing. And this is exactly what the best running apps will do for you.
Finding the Best Running Apps For You
I have my own favourites, which I’ll introduce later, but the trick is to find which is best running apps suited to you and your needs.
What do you need?
- Make a list of what you need. If you are running in an area not well known to yourself, you’ ll be wanting some kind of route finder (think the runners’ version of google map).
- Do you want to track your calories? Your heart rate? Make sure you get an app that just covers your needs. Otherwise you’ll be trying to navigate your way through a load of functions you won’t ever use to get to the ones you do.
Choose a Good App
This is an obvious one, but finding the best running apps can be like finding a needle in a haystack.
- Your go-to places are of course Apple and google play. Personally, I find google play much more user friendly.
- Once you put in the keyword “running” it will bring up the top running apps. Just click on each app and check it out. They have swipe throughs of all the apps key screens.
- Scroll further down and you get a full low breakdown of each app’s features. You can also check out the reviews and feedback from current users of the apps.
- Of course this info must be taken with a big pinch of salt. The feature description is written by the app makers and the reviews often consist of people just venting their spleens. So it isn’t always unbiased.
- But a bit of research can save you downloading an app that doesn’t meet your needs
- These are the three best running apps from personal experience.
Nike+ Run Club (Free) Check it our HERE
- The first one is from the big guns at Nike. And it’s not surprising they’ve come up with one of the best running apps.
- The main app feature logs your time/distance and speed. It has a great automatic pause when you stop your workout.
Once you wrap up your run, it logs all your data and your overall training performance. So you can log your progress.
- • Tracks And Stores All Your Runs And Records
• Personalized Coaching Plans Now Adapt To Your Schedule And Progress
• More Fun And Customizable Post-run Sharing With Friends And New Stickers
• Compare And Compete With Friends On Leaderboards By Hash-tagging Runs
• Motivation & Guidance From Nike Athletes Mo Farah, Allyson Felix, Ashton Eaton, Kevin Hart And Many More.
- • There has been feedback of the data recording not always being 100% accurate
• For some reason, some of the best app features were removed with the latest revamp.
Wahoo Runfit (Free) Check it out HERE
On Google Play this has attracted some negative feedback. However, it works well and the big bonus is the suite of features it has.
You can see that the app includes running, walking, pre-work outs, post work outs.
The main app logs time/distance/calories consumed/speed. All set up on a neat looking format.
Above you can see some of the packages you can use.
- -Track Cardio Workouts
-Using the TICKR X record:
-Cadence on an indoor bike.
-Speed, distance, and stride rate on the treadmill
-Steps and distance on the elliptical
- – Like the Nike App, some of the latest updates have not been for the better.
- – To get full use of this app, the Tickr heart monitor is needed which requires payment.
Runtastic (Free & $4.99) Check it out HERE
- This badboy comes up at the top of the google play search.
It has a nice navi map to show you where you are on your route. One annoyance is the ads at the bottom.
Once you finish, you get all these nice share options.
As you can see it has a very impressive line up of features (these are not all available on the free version of the app).
* Real Voice Coach: Audio feedback throughout your session
* GPS Tracker: Track yourself on the map in real-time via GPS
* Fitness Tracker: View your workouts, advanced stats & graphs
* Mapping: Detailed live mapping & historic mapping of training sessions (Google Maps)
* Yearly Running Goal: Set a running goal for the entire year & we will keep you motivated & on track to reach it
* Shoe Tracking: Keep track of the mileage on your running shoes so you know when it’s time to retire your shoes & get a new pair
* Runtastic Earth View: Watch your workout in 3D (free Google Earth App required)
* Running Tracker with LIVE Cheering: Get LIVE Tracking & Cheering from your friends during your session
* Running Leaderboard: See who’s run the furthest this/last week or month. We will be your run tracker & jogging tracker & help motivate you to be number 1
* Routes: Create or find a running route & save it to your Android phone
* Customisable dashboard configuration: Display preferred training statistics (duration, distance, pace, speed, heart rate, calories burned, elevation gain, time, post-workout hydration recommendation) during your workouts
* Monthly & overall metrics for elevation gain, pace, speed, heart rate, distance, number of workouts, duration & calories burned
* Auto Pause: Session paused automatically when you stop moving
* Training Plans to make progress & reach fitness goals
* Interval run training, coaching & dynamic split (mi/km) tables
* Training Goals: Select a calorie, distance or pace goal to optimise training
* Challenge a Run: Compete against yourself by challenging past activities
* Geotagging: Take pictures during your workout & see them on the map on Runtastic.com
* Runtastic Wearable Connect: Display activity stats on Runtastic Orbit & Moment, our 24/7 wearables
* Enjoy music with Google Play Music, Spotify, Pandora, SoundCloud & more, directly within the Runtastic app (available on Android 4.4 & above)
* Coloured Traces: Colours indicate training changes, incl. pace, elevation, slope along your running route when you use your phone as a GPS tracker
* Your Fitness App: Manual entry of workouts from treadmill runs to yoga sessions
* Integrate Runtastic activities to your MyFitnessPal account & to Google Fit
* Android Wear Integration: Control Runtastic with Android Wear
* Share activities on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp & via email
All of these apps have a lot going for them. Wahoo has a more complete picture for those of you looking to do some cross training all rolled into one.
Runtastic has the most impressive array of features for running. The Nike one is just play easy to use and feels nice.